Thursday, March 08, 2012

(3rd Generation) iPad - and why the iPad still wont replace computers for me

Hmm so apple is sticking on just iPad for the new erm… iPad… something like the iPods… or macbook pros… you have to say which generation ur iPod is, or when your macbook pro was made to ACTUALLY get which version/build of the product you are using.

So news of the new iPad is all over now… from the straits times:

The new iPad will be 9.4mm thick, or 0.37 inches. That compares with 8.8mm for the iPad 2. The weight is going up from 1.33 pounds (0.6kg) to 1.44 pounds (0.65kg) for the Wi-Fi-only model. The original iPad weighed 1.5 pounds (0.68kg).

And the recommended price plan for Singapore (yes, we'll be getting it next week… 16th March, that's really fast!)

Prices in SGD

16GB model - $658
32GB model - $788
64GB model - $918
iPad Wi-Fi + 4G
16GB - $828
32GB - $958
64GB - $1088

Was reading this interesting Time article about apple events…

So why do i get so interested in following the apple events online?

1st up, its fun. How often do i get to follow live blog(s) and twitter feeds about some kind of happening? Rarely… the last (and only) non-apple event that i followed with great interest was the general elections last year...

2nd: I'm an apple product user, and I'm a kinda geeky. so yeah, I'm interested in tech stuff, even if i can't afford them… i read articles on windows and android too if i come across em.

3rd: its fun to see how the rumors are right or wrong.With so many leaks and guesses and rumors floating around, its exciting to see how many of them are right. or wrong.

 

After last year's announcement of iPhone 4S, i wasn’t expecting much in terms of physical or extremely radical changes to the iPad… the changes announced were pretty much expected and needed. like i was using my dad's 4S, than the iPad - and couldn’t help but remark at how the iPad graphics were still pretty lousy in comparison. Better camera - that's sorely needed as well, though i still think it's really stupid to go around using the huge iPad as a primary camera… No siri - i guess its weird to be talking to a pad… but I'm still not fond of the idea of talking to my phone… plus ah, the language and pronunciation differences… till the day siri can learn singlish? LOL.

Quad core power processor is good no doubt… but it goes back to remind me how sorely lacking my processor/ram on my macbook is… now its really troublesome… i have to close and re-start apps like firefox so that they won't eat up so much ram and hang my computer. With me doing the ftp now it gets really bad… even video streaming on the browser lags… refreshes like 1 frame per 5 sec… (than i'll have to go around hunting for a window to close). Especially when I'm reading up and inserting stuff for the table that I'm doing… i'll be search on firefox, reading on mendeley, and typing things on excel and word. Opening up that extra program excel really doesn’t help… and of cos i have way too many background programs for my own good… like typinator, yorufukurou (twitter client), geek tools, a bunch of stuff on my dash board… etc etc etc… I'm even resorting to opening up apps like evernote and wunderkit in my phone instead when I'm running low on ram so that my computer won't hang :S and since my dad's not using his mac now, i took it over and i'll be using that to do my pymol instead… and when i played around with illustrator, i used his comp instead too...

And my poor computer is desperately in need of more space. After downloading a bunch of videos i have only 15gb of free space left… no good….

Same on my phone! downloaded some new songs and got better quality versions of some of my old songs and now i have like 4.4gb of songs on my phone… no wonder i had to delete so many of my apps! its like theres only about 5gb of space left for my apps… definitely not enough :S sighs… if i get a new iPhone next time can i have a 32gb or 64gb one please??? T.T heck even with 64gb I'd be able to fill it all up… i  really want to rip the classical music CDs my dad has and put them in my comp - the make for great listening when working - but my phone and computer is running out of space… ><

I'd need to get an external hard disk and really really soon too… sighs… this is really bad!

oh holy freak… the IT show starts today… epps… i need to go and get an external hard disk! :X

 

Hmm so the iPad is really good and all, but i its still kind of lacking for my needs… some people have even ditched their computers for the iPad (kind of).

Games wise… no flash, so i can't play my games on kongregate… but there are so many tons of games on the app store, so that's not a problem… so imma gonna talk about iPad for my working (i.e. everything besides gaming, since I'm not really WORKING yet) needs.

As mentioned in the article, i think a keyboard would be really important… the on screen keyboard is not that bad to type on really, but one thing that frustrates me really badly is that somehow the layout of the backspace buttons is slightly different from that on the iPhone. And since i got used to my iPhone keyboard 1st PLUS i HARDLY use the iPad, when i do have to type something on the iPad, that becomes quite a bit of a problem.

I muti-task and switch programs like there's no tomorrow. I do several different things at once… and switch programs a lot… (like now my file has finished downloading, and I'm off to start another download)...

*ok back to this post*

When I'm blogging i often have to google things… when I'm consolidating my background info i switch between reading papers, searching for new papers, and the word document all the time… when I'm doing stuff like blast or clustal that's even worst… despite their multi tasking function introduced in iOS 4, it still isn't good enough on the iOS for me… there's a stupid pause while switching (partly cos not enough ram?) between apps and double clicking on the home screen button sometimes doesn’t work and you end up return to the home screen (and there u have to double click again)… all these doesn’t make app switching very appealing for me...

oh and i copy things between programs A LOT, so my clipboard manager program is vital in my workflow (like i can pin snippets and recall them with a shortcut key)

And there's the problems of speciality programs like pymol or say illustrator - you don't get those on the iPad, and for those times when you have to use these programs, its still the computer for you.

If you don't have any of the above problems or habits though, the iPad certainly had its advantages. Like it has a way better battery life than my mac for example. and you can have it with 3G (or 4G…) - like sometimes when i bring my computer out and work else where, i end up having to use the 3G from my phone (through a usb cable at that, since my phone is a 3G… and that drains my mac battery even faster). In spite of the wireless@sg initiative, the connection doesn’t work more often than it DOES for me… like sometimes i won't be able to connect to it at all, at other times i cannot log in even though I'm 1000% sure I'm using the correct password.

There's a lot of apps on the iPad… and for normal stuff, it'll probably suffice… like even if I'm reading my papers, i can use any pdf reader to open up my paper (there are tons out there), and i can search for the papers on safari, and then type on an office program or Apple's pages program. Only thing is that i can get things done a lot faster if I'd to use my computer instead… :X So yeah, i can get my work done on the iPad, but for what I'm doing, it'll probably be more efficient on the computer instead.

So yup… you won't see my using an iPad to do my work any soon… :X

 

EDIT: Ah i just realized today that there are muti finger gestures that you can use on the iPad to make app switch easier. Sill… you can't quite organize your files and documents as well as on the computer… and with my FYP i've got so many files and over a hunted papers now… and that's way lesser than the thousands of papers those full time researches would have kept in their libraries :X I can work with the iPad if i wanted to, at least i can do certain aspects of my work, but i still don't think that for my purposes it'll work better than on the computer… :X

No comments: