Thursday, October 13, 2011

iOS 5 done, next up - Lion!

I actually fall asleep last night waiting for iOS 5 to come out... in the end i woke up at like 4am, and than it took me about 20-30mins to dl iOS 5... after all the hassle, everything's finally set now...

Apple made the installation of iOS 5 to be like a factory restore, probably cos they had to go right down to upgrade even the firmware - something i didn’t notice happening in the previous iOS 4 update... so yeah, all the apps will be gone. Since i didn’t sync my apps ever since i moved to the mac (cos otherwise i had to slowly re-arrange all the icons)... it was a hell of a time for me to re-install and re-download all the new apps i've had since than. That took a HOURS to do. Probably 4-5 hours or even more? Over 10 GB worth of apps to install, and loads of them needed updating so yeah... >< well... at least my apps are finally being synced on my iTunes too...

Thankfully, the new iOS lets you USE the phone when syncing with your comp, so i could use my phone to rearrange some apps and look ard while even more apps where being downloaded and installed into my phone. That's a mighty good upgrade if you were to ask me...

So far so good, amazingly all the application data was kept even though the apps had to be re-installed. No that i know how those appplication data stuff really works... but yeah... stuff like my game achievements, my documents on Office2... they were all there.

Some minor changes - the iPod icon has changed to a music icon with a different look... kinda miss the one button... but i guess i'll get used to it in due time. The reason they changed that to say Music is cos Videos are now house separately... not much of a diff to me... i rarely watch the videos downloading on my phone yeah...

The 'on-off' toggle button in the settings are now... erm... oval shaped? Instead of the old rectangle, they now have a rounded off side. No diff to me really.

The camera button on lock screen... it only schows up when you double click the home button... just like how the music player will only show up when you double click the home button. Makes sense... prevents accidental clicks.

Swipe down at the home screen to reveal the notifications center. Haven had much notifications yet, just one sms so didn’t have much opportunity to test it out.

Photo stream - haven exactly tried it yet. I mean, it's enabled on my phone, but i've got to update my Lion OS to be able to use iCloud - something which i'm doing now (dang, shd have done it earlier! The Lion Recovery Update needs another 33mins more to download... i'm not sure how long it'll take to download the 2nd one!). Can't wait to try out iCloud properly! Okay... the photo i took earlier is up on photo stream already... still a long way to go before my Lion downloads finish tho... hope it can finish before i have to leave the hours... gotta leave at like 12:30pm for my cell bio lecture...

Supposedly able to sync bookmarks from mac to iphone... but i guess that'll only come when my Lion gets updated too. No Lion, no iCloud.

So far i've used 1.3 GB of my storage space in iCloud. It's basically used to save my application data right now... like Tap Tap 4 and Office2... Tap Tap 4 is using the most iCloud storage space in my phone right now lol... all the songs i've bought/downloaded previously... (yeah, amazingly i didn’t have to re-download any of the songs after re-downloading the app too)

Oh yes... voice control. I guess Siri is the AI that you can talk to, and it'll talk back to you. Non-4S phones will only gets the normal voice control i guess. Pressing and holding the home button activates the service... I said 'Play music' and it got it amazingly got it right... I tried something more adventurous and said 'play Arashi' and the 1st time it called ashley, the 2nd time it just said it couldn’t recognise it... aw... not sure if it'll work if i try other artist or smthing... i need like... a list of the commands it'll recognise lol. 'Next song/track' works too, though its kinda stupid to use voice control for that, since it takes way long to hold down the home button till voice control activiates than for you to go hit the next song button in the Music app (or on the lock screen, on ur earpiece etc). The idea of talking to my phone is still... really weird though.

Ah... it downloading Mac OS X update now. 12mins left... okay, that's all for now, till next time! :)

No comments: