Wednesday, June 25, 2008

dinner

went out for dinner with two fellow students today. our mentors get to go for the ibn 5th anniversay dinner, so its fitting that we too shd go out for dinner :P this week is one of the student's last week too, so thought we shd go out together b4 she leaves. haha loads of fun and laughter today, and loads of discussing abt our mentors too. talked abt how some mentors have particular pet phrases and stuff like that... lol... saying that my mentor is the most introverted person they've eer met... lol i said that thks to their presence, he has reverted back into being more introverted and much less talkative... sighz... my weeks of effort getting him to warm up a bit wasted. its v obvious. whenever other ppl are ard in the lab he becomes.... v quiet and like v uneasy. haiz. zhen shi de.

BUT when its jus the two of us, most of the time he's more relaxed and more talkative. i noticed that now he talks more in chinese. but ways lah. i talk to him more in chinese too. haha i like it when he speaks chinese... like that accent haha, only that my chinese has gone v rusty from lack of use and my chinese std was never as gd as his to began wif. hmm. getting to know him soooo well... i wonder if any other student knows him as well. in fact i think even his colleges dont know him as well as i do... maybe...

haha the other student was commenting that she realized my mentor lets me tag along a lot. yeah. absolutely. if i dont tag along/help him out, then i'll be doing NOTHING in ibn. cos i dont have my own project like they do. and with simple stuff yeah he'll leave me to do it myself, but with the experiments i'm not familiar with, or current experiments, he'll do it with me unless he's not ard or he's ultra busy... but basically we do the expts 2gether. so if i dont tag along, er that wat am i supposed to do? for the rest its diff, they do their own project/follow protocols given by their mentors. he asks me to plan experiments smtimes, but many a times he does the planning and i'm his assitant when he does the experiment. so i'm either playing a support role, or where possible, i'll do a part and he does another. either way with two person doing one thing we get things done faster and hopefully more efficiently. and of cos when it comes to menial tasks like shaking the cells every 20 mins, its my duty and he can happily do his stuff in the office...

but yeah. wat i like abt it in ibn is that i feel a sense of self worth. i know that the results from the experiments i carry out will be put to actual use, not like a project made up to entertain me or smthing like that. the data i got in my last attachment they use in a paper... makes me proud really... of cos i was 99% merely taking and carrying out orders. but it means that my results are reliable. my mentor taught me and trained me and made sure that my experimental skills are good, as good as he does it himself, and i really learn a lot in the process. unlike this student who came for only 2 weeks... its weird... his mentor didnt bother/supervise him much, but he spends an awful lot of time in the hood.... like the whole day... doing smthing that could be finished in much much lesser time... he prepared some culture medium but apperantly there are chunks in it, and now that he's left, his mentor asked the other student to prepare new medium, saying she doesnt dare to use the one prepared by him.
its strange... if i were her i would have at least watched him once to make sure he knows wat he is doing... dunnoe but that is completely diff from what my mentor does. really really the best mentor you can ever have. not becos he knows the most, but becos he willingly and wholehearted imparts information and knowledge to you. he told me abt his thinking process when he designed protocols the other day... i dont think anyother researcher in my grp taught their students that. yeah he has his mood swings and periods of time when he doesnt want to talk, but i can understand that... he's a quiet person by nature, somewhat like how i was last time, and still am. only that we are slightly diff. but when he's in a happier mood things can go real great and i'd be having a grand time. really enjoyable times, and thoes days would be more than sufficient to make spending my holidays at ibn worth the while. haha not to mention all that he has taught me. academic, experience, and many many other things, advice... no i'm not going to say them here. never will. haha. too bad for you reader. those lessons are mine to learn and keep :D

i'm considered a rather senior member in the lab lol. i really hope that this experience will help me greatly in the future. uni labwork shd be a breeze now. seriously hope so. haha. watch out guys, i'm gonna pawn u all!

my friend once called me a rock in the ocean, clam and unfazed by watever comes. i think my mentor beats me to it. ok maybe not always but i feel that generally he is clamer, cooler, and boy does he think a hell lot more, and way way (most of the time at least) ahead of me. yeah. he's good. not denying that. the best mentor you can ever half.

No comments: