Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Slow but Almost Certain Demise of Apple’s OS X Dashboard | TIME.com

The Slow but Almost Certain Demise of Apple’s OS X Dashboard | TIME.com

man I'd be really sad if/when it gets culled too. Ok maybe not if, but when... unless a miracle happens and Apple does something to revive the dashboard... but development in dashboard widgets have indeed come to a standstill. I use the dashboard a lot. I've got a scientific calculator there, a screenshot taking widget, iStat pro, countdown timer, 3 sticky notes worth of information, a calendar app... and more. I've filled up my entire dashboard with widgets and the whole she-bang is just a mouse movement away - i have it as an active corner for easy activation. I use it anywhere from 30 to a few hundred times a day and i'd very much rather they leave it alone then take it out...

I've said time and again that as convenient as menubar apps might be, i have WAY too much on my menu bar already. Its just... impractical. For the most part, the active app itself would take up at least half the bar with all the usual 'file, edit,view' etc etc menus. On the other wise, the date, time and battery % takes up another like... 25% of the space. That leaves me with not much space left for menu bar apps. Most of the time i'll have to switch to the finder (where the menu items are lesser and short) just to see my menu bar app icon. I'd very much rather have my dashboard thank you.

No comments: