Tuesday, December 06, 2011

WHEE! School's out, FYP's in

Hohoho. i'm back. yes. loads of updates coming up next, hang on tight. Ok... i'mm try and be more organised and split things into a few posts.... if that helps anything...

SCHOOL

ok, only school stuff in this post.

I stopped myself from posting as exams drew nearer. But its all over now... exams was ok.... that's all i ever say abt them isnt it? Well, i'm quite worried about muscles and omics... esp omics. All that i studied seemed to have gone out of my head. It was a fairly easy paper, but i could remember enough for the essay/short answer qns. Plus the mcqs were multi answer.... no good :(. Mol evo... the mcqs were tricky... and the essays... i totally had no idea what to write for the essays. Its supposed to be like... short answers apparently. But i wrote PAGES and PAGES of text. I'm not even sure if its relevant or anything... i just tried to make up for the lack of quality with quantity... which is so not going to work... the main problem is that i don't even know what the heck his qns where asking for. Mol evo was a really fun subject to study, but studying for the exams was tough work. VERY VERY LONG LECTURES. The lecture webpages were SUPER content FILLED. I took so much longer to go through each lecture than i did with any other course... Its like you just scroll endlessly through the text filled webpages... My friend printed out the lectures. One single lecture took like 16+ pages worth of text... Other mods had at most like... 10+ pages worth of SLIDES. NOT pages crammed with text. Bigg diff! Still, the essay qns were fun to answer. Hard, and i'm not sure if i understood him right, but i always liked these kinds of thinking qns.

Its like the biz law mod that i took too. My 1st ever open book exam, and also the last ever exam I'd be taking in a while - until i continue on with my pHd that is. I totally didn’t study for it at all... like... i couldn’t be bothered anymore cos it’s the last paper... plus i S/U the subject... plus it was open book... I made an absolute mess of my table and the shelf below with my textbook and all the notes... like my qn paper was buried under stacks of notes... and my notes were strewn all over the place i actually wasted a few minutes looking for them... but overall it was fun. always preferred thinking qns more than anything else... and since this was an open book exam, memorising stuff was not required... you just had to think on the spot, something which i really enjoyed.


FYP... hmm... did i talk abt it at all earlier? i forgot. But i must say i was really lucky... cos in the end i found two professors who were more than willing to have me. It was really a last minute kind of thing... one i met him the day before selection ends, while the other i meet on the day selection ends... still i was glad i made it in time. Kind of sad that in the end i didn’t pick the lab/chemistry based one... but its not that i totally dislike computer work... i had a genetics module in sec 4 options and we did n-blast and stuff and it was fun. For the project i'll be working on, i'll mostly be working on p-blast. I think the professors' really fun and hope i can learn a lot from them... gonna be working with belinda for my fyp.. we'll be working on diff genes, but the steps are basically the same so we'll be able to ask each other qns and stuff... which should be good for me... having someone to compete with is really something i've been lacking a lot since jc (jc i kinda gave up competing with anyone...)... and in uni i don't even know where i stand with my results... i know i suck, but i don't know how badly i suck kind of thing... another thing is that, we'll be working on 2 proteins each... if things goes well, the prof's hope is to publish one paper per gene... o.o don't know if things would really work out that way... only after that did i hear my other friends say stuff like how many profs seems to keep making loads of claims abt publishing papers etc as if using those as carrots to attract students... but it certainly didn’t sound that way when my sup said it. watever. that's not impt... what is impt is that i'll have to work my darn hardest... since it’s a computer based work, i can do it anywhere, any time... i can work as fast (or as slow ><) as i want... also, there's the promise that  if we finish the blasting work, we can go on to do labwork... so yeah, that's definitely a motivation for me to work harder. Really must thank belinda for introducing me to this prof. She was meeting another prof, but apparently that project had a lot of students visiting already, so the prof asked her to check out another project by my sup. Turns out that there was some kind of mistake and the project was not listed, no wonder they didn’t get any responses... They were looking for another student, so belinda asked me if i wanted to go meet the prof... which i did. I was genuinely interested in the chemistry project at nus too... it really feels bad having to decline the prof... he was really kind and explained the project in detail to me and all....

gonna meet my sup tmr at 5pm... can't wait for my fyp to start. 9th jan it shall be...

No comments: