Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Thanks for the memories, welcome to the end of the beginning.

So it was a hectic last week at ibn. my mentor was rushing to finish off his experiments, and i was busy wiht the last of the experiments PLUS making of my exit presentation. the presentation went well in the end... well at least i didnt stumble too much and could answer the qns they asked.

It was a great 6 months at ibn. 6 months wow. time flies. in all i've been in ibn for ard 9 months already. so much that i learnt there. all the watching of the safety videos lol. now at ntu sbs, they made us watch some videos too... the same ones that i watched at ibn! lol. luckily they tell us to watch at our own time, so i skipped the ones that i watched for 4 times already... maybe if i'm realy bored i'll watch it again... but then again, watching it for the 5th time would make my REAL bored! LOL.

Thanks for the memories... learning how to use the mircopipette properly. that was most likely the 1st thing i learn under the electric fan. yeah. the legendary pipetter. LOL... something that requires care and attention when doing, smthing that still lets me down at times. ew. then i learnt how to use the multi channel pipette. lol... u can call this... erm.. upgrading? haha. learnt to use loads of equipment too... like the UV-Vis machine, freeze dryer... k i cant really load the sample properly onto the freeze dryer... scared the thing will fall off and break but nvm... and of cos my favourite, beloved rheology machine... cant stand it when ppl from other labs come and make a mess on the machine and never clean up, and i dont understand how, within the span of a few months, ppl can use the machine in such a careless manner as to leave TONS of scratches on the dear sensor... when after 3 years of using the sensor by me and fan, and some other students, the sensor didnt so much as to sustain a single scratch! those ppl.... really! sheesh!

i gotta thank fan loads for teaching me so much stuff tho. he took my power point making skills to a new lvl... we made good ppt in sch for pts (performance task). but the problem with those are that.... they are sch projects. we put loads of graphics, animations etc... stuff totally unecesary in working arena. and after 2 whole years of not doing a single pt, i really have to thk him for being so nice and editing my ppt, adding in content, coming up with a good title for me... really i dont think any other mentor does that. at least not the ones in my lab. actually, i dont think he edited his other student's exit presentation... didnt see him do it at least? dont know. but yeah he took good care of me... lol spoilt me a lil with the constant tea breaks and always thinking for me. but that's the problem with me doing his project i guess. and i have no idea i'm truely really to do my own project... know too lil and slack too much. !#$@#$@ i shd finish this post soon and read tmrs lect notes!!!!!!!!!!! but yeah, thks for teaching me so much, patiently showing me how to do cell culture, telling me your mental processes when planning experiments. i'll put them to good use :D

and for my friends out there who has been teasing me all the time... i admire this guy for his maturity - the way he carrys himself during work and how he plans out experiments and stuff. granted he has 4 years worth of experience as of now, but he didnt seem less confident/mature etc 2 years ago... i really wonder if i can match up to him. when i'm as old as him/with as much working experience, would i been as discipline, and mature as him? would i be able to plan and carry out my experiments as well as he does? partly, his discipline and hardworkingness is what motivates me to work hard now, and his love for science and research... seeing him smile through his eyes when he talks abt his love and passion... i know that doing research can be a great, rewarding job. i know i can do it, and i cant possibly loss out to him :) and so its time to study!


Thanks for the memories!

No comments: