Sunday, April 03, 2016

iOS 9.3

Well, the biggest feature in the iOS 9.3 release is the introduction of the night shift mode. And for someone nocturnal like me, the night shift mode is a godsend.

I don't know if the thing about blue light is really affecting my sleep... But I do know that it was making my eyes hurt because the screen was too bright. Even the dimmest setting is too bright and painful to read on when the room is completely dark. I've even tried tweaking in the accessibility settings to have a mask over to make the screen dimmer, but it was quite a troublesome process and I didn't do it much. So in the end, my eyes hurt each time I tried to read/play on the phone before bedtime. And unlike many people who can't sleep if they use their phones before bed, it's often the other way round for me. I get sleepy playing stuff on the phone... (And I've fallen asleep and dropped the phone without first charging it, and woke up to a nearly daed phone - games were still running - several times).

So what I've found about the night shift mode is that cutting off the blue light makes the screen dimmer, less glaring, and perfect for using at night. Nonetheless.... Thanks to my varied sleeping habits... The current way of implementing night shift mode is less than desirable for me. I first set it to start at 10 pm. Then I realised 10 pm was way too early in most cases. Because I'd set the red shift to the most extreme option, the screen looks pretty... Red, and therefore I'd like it off if I'm not in bed yet. I'm most probably using the laptop, with my room lights all on anyway. And if I'm doing work, I actually don't want to fall asleep. Oh worst still if the reason I'm reaching for my phone is so that I can snap a few pictures. I *need* the night shift mode off so that I can properly judge if the lighting and color are right.

Rather than a timer... A quick on off switch say in the control center would work much better.

Or... I could ask siri to do it for me.

I just tried. It worked great. Only that I'm still shy when it comes to talking to siri.

Thus far the most that I've asked her to do was to 'wake me up at 8 am'. Or whatever time of my choosing.

More than 3 months in with a 'Hey siri' phone and that's about all I ask for siri...

Still, it's an improvement from the previous phones without an active hey siri feature. I don't use siri at all.

But well, I've always been the shy type eh?


Not much else for iOS 9.3... Notes can now be password protected. I might activate that... Though it's not that necessary since my phone itself is already password protected. And my phone tends to stay in my hands. Still, since I can use TouchID, there's no harm activating it though...

(Well, unless I'm in the lab. Then TouchID won't recognise my gloves. And it won't work properly when my fingertips are moist from sweating my gloves either. Unless I stay in the office... I end up having to type my password most of the time at work.)

The Apple Health app supposedly got an upgrade, but I've never used that app much so I don't see the difference... I've always used other apps like Argus and UP to keep track of my step count anyway... So I only go to the Health app once in a blue moon if I want to look at how many flight of stairs I've climbed.

The rest of the updates - CarPlay, and News and Education - doesn't affect me. Our new car doesn't support CarPlay. News is still only available in the US, and Education? I'm not in school anymore. And I doubt educators in Singapore will have it implemented any soon.

So that's about it for iOS 9.3.

What else was announced in that Keynote?

iPhone SE and the smaller iPad Pro. The iPhone SE is great news for several of my friends with small hands and loving the iPhone 5s form factor. Sure, TouchID is still the 1st gen version, and there's no Force Touch. But the first gen TouchID work pretty darn well already... And ForceTouch? I tried to use to often initially, but now I can't even remember the last time I've used it anymore...

For those who aren't gadget loving geeks like myself, and prefers a smaller phone, I think the iPhone SE is a great choice.

iPad Pro. Once again, it's the Apple Pencil that I'm interested in. And it's really irritating because none of the stores in SG lets buyers test out the Apple Pencil! Sure the iPad Pros are on display... But I have an iPhone and I've seen an iPad. But I've not seen the Apple Pencil. Nor the keyboard.

The iPad Pro sounds like a fantastic tool to get... But adding on the cost of the Pencil, and maybe even the keyboard... And you have a really, really expensive iPad. Sure it's still a great deal for creatives. But for a pseudo creative like myself? Nah dah. I'm pretty hopeless when holding writing instruments. Though I definitely see better results with a physical pen and paper as compared to a walcom pen and tablet. Which is why I'm interested in the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil in the first place.

But still. The iOS is not enough for my complete geeky needs. Sure it'll be quite a step up in terms of productivity with the keyboard - I can do all my light blogging on it - but not if I'm writing something that requires some research. Like. 'Some' research by having about 20 tabs open, and trying to search up the Japanese dictionary and English thesaurus. I know that you can have apps open side by side with split screen but... Well, it's probably ok if you're only using two apps at once. But more than that? I think there'll be trouble.

Say, if I'm trying to do a show review... Taking tons of video screenshots, while trying to translate, and blog at the same time... On my mac that'll be VLC (video player), MarsEdit (blogging tool, also uploads all my screenshots), Chrome (for all my Japanese dictionary needs). Oh and messenger on facebook too... for discussing with my friends if I need English phrasing help (also on Chrome, but it'll be a seperate app on the iOS). I think a computer is still better suited for that purpose... (And I'm not even doing anything really high tech or groundbreaking here?) Taking screenshots on the iOS would be a pain too because I'll have to crop each and every screenshot in a separate app. On the Mac I just press Cmd+Control+Shift+4, crop out the video area I'm interested in, then paste it on MarsEdit. I don't even pick a location to save the picture and upload it... Because that would take too much time. My reviews are always extremely photo extensive, easily having over a 100 photos per review... So you get the idea.


Well... Computers. I need to get my own computing device soon. I'm still borrowing dad's lappy now but he'll need it back soon. Why oh why are the macbook pro with retina display's base stats still so low? Even the iPad Pro has options of more storage than the basic macbook pro!!! 128 GB of storage space is NOT enough! Even 256 GB is too little... Gah. And of course the more you add on... The more expensive it gets. Hmph. *huffs*

I'll have to upgrade the ram too, because 8 GB ram? Hello... Do you have any idea how much ram web browsers eat up these days? I don't even do much. Just playing a video, Chrome/Firefox, MSWord at the same time... And my ram is all shot. Even 16 GB of ram (the max upgrade) seems... Kinda little.

Or maybe I should stick to my original plan and get a desktop after all. Sis will happily take it if I'm going overseas... Will be sometime before that happens (if at all) anyway.... Gah.

Alrights. That's all for now!

No comments: